Instructions for Submitting a Sabbatical Leave Request
Per the University's Policy on Sabbatical Leave, faculty eligible for sabbatical leave are those (a) who have six years full-time service and (b) who are tenured at the time the leave commences. Note that those who have had a prior sabbatical leave must have completed an additional six full-time years to qualify for another leave.
The procedures for obtaining permission for a leave are outlined below.
- An applicant for a sabbatical leave must submit:
- A signed and dated current curriculum vitae.
- A Sabbatical Leave Request form.
- The request must be submitted at least six months prior to the proposed sabbatical leave. However, the application deadline may be waived with departmental approval wherein the application is filed by a faculty member being reviewed for tenure and promotion.
- The form must include the specific dates for which the leave is requested, and the dates of the request should agree with the type of appointment the faculty member holds. A faculty member on a 12-month appointment may request any 6- or 12-month period. A faculty member on a 9.0, a 9.5, or a 10-month appointment should use the following dates:
9-mo. Faculty 9.5- mo. Faculty 10-mo. Faculty Fall semester 8/23-1/07 8/17-1/07 8/17-1/15 Spring semester 1/8-5/22 1/8-5/31 1/16-6/15 Academic year 8/23-5/22 8/17-5/31 8/17-6/15
- A detailed summary of the planned sabbatical project, describing:
- the specific project or work which is expected to be accomplished during the sabbatical
- the benefit from this project to the faculty member in the areas of research and/or instruction
- the benefit from this project to the University
- the location where the project is to be conducted and other relevant travel/study plans
- tangible products or results expected from sabbatical activities
- These materials should be submitted to the Department Chair who is
responsible for verifying the eligibility of the applicant and signing the request form. The Department Chair must attach a brief letter that explains:
- why the faculty member merits a sabbatical
- how the applicant's teaching load will be covered during the sabbatical
- and the expected benefits of the sabbatical to the faculty member and university.
- The Department Chair will then submit the form, the Chair's letter of endorsement, as well as the faculty member's letter of request and curriculum vita to the Dean for approval.
- The Dean must sign the form and forward it to the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs, 1119 Main Administration Building, for review and approval by the Provost.
- After a decision is reached by the Provost, a letter will be sent to the applicant, with copies to the Chair, Dean, and payroll and personnel officers. The original material will be kept in the Office of the Provost.
- Upon receipt of this approval, it is the responsibility of the Department to enter leave dates into PHR. Please reference "How to add sabbatical information" on the PHR website at http://www.inform.umd.edu/PHR/Transactions/Add_Sabbatical_Information.pdf
In cases where the applicant holds a joint appointment, it will be the responsibility of the primary department to obtain the signature of approval from the secondary unit.
Faculty on professional or sabbatical leave continue to have the same benefits coverage. They also continue to accrue annual leave and sick leave at either full rate (if receiving full pay) or half rate (if receiving half pay).