Job Search On-line Resources
The Washington D.C./Baltimore area offers a wonderfully large and, in several ways, unique employment market for job seekers. For example, the largest sources of employment are with foundations/ associations and the federal government. There are also over 50 colleges and universities within commuting distance of the University of Maryland. See below for more detailed information.
University or Research Employment
- Job listings for the University of Maryland are made available each Friday. The spouse/partner of professorial faculty are eligible to receive special consideration for University positions. They should contact Rhonda Malone, (301) 405-2509, if applying for University employment.
- Through the Higher Education Recruitment Consortium, more information is available about job listings in the area.
- Academic employment can also be found at any of the over 50 colleges and universities in the Washington D.C./Baltimore area!
- Research positions are available through the federal government, at facilities such as at NIH, NIST, and NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Many nearby research centers and private industry research facilities are also employment opportunities.
- USA Jobs is the federal government's official job site.
- Maryland State Government advertises many positions on a centralized website. Other state agencies advertise their employment opportunities separately.
- Both D.C. and Baltimore as well as the surrounding Maryland counties, such as Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard, and Anne Arundel are major employers.
- The Maryland Association of Nonprofit Organizations posts positions in a wide range of fields.
- Idealist.com, PNN Online, and DotOrgJobs offer listings of nonprofit and association positions.
Public and Private School Employment
- In the state of Maryland, the entire county operates as one public school system and coordinates employment centrally. Montgomery, Prince George's, Howard, and Anne Arundel County Schools, as well as Washington D.C. and Baltimore City Schools are nearby public school systems.
- For private schools, the Maryland Department of Education maintains a list of state-licensed private schools. Washingtonian Magazine and maryland.com list of Maryland and D.C. private schools with links to their websites.
All Types of Employment
- Job Network provides separate websites for Washington D.C., Maryland, and Virginia.
- The ubiqitous Craig's List offers listings of area jobs for Washington D.C. and Maryland.
- MarylandDiversity is a network of local diversity employment Web sites.
- Megajob websites such as monster.com, careerbuilder.com, Yahoo Hot Jobs, America's Job Bank, and nationjob.com allow searches on both location, position type and other criteria.
- Area newspapers, Washington Post, the Baltimore Sun, the Baltimore Business Journal, the Washington Business Journal and the Maryland Gazette offer classified ads, a resume posting service and more.