Request For Delay
Of Mandatory Tenure Review Due To
Personal or Professional Circumstances
A tenure-track faculty member may request an extension of time for tenure consideration based on personal or professional circumstances.
Personal circumstances are individual or family situations that substantially impede normal professional development of the faculty member. (In the case of childbirth or adoption, a tenure delay is automatically provided. For more information, see Notification of Delay of Mandatory Tenure Review Due to Childbirth or Adoption. Complete the notification process described there, not this request procedure.)
- Professional circumstances are individual, departmental, or facility related situations that are beyond the control of the faculty member and substantially impede normal professional development of the faculty member.
The procedures for requesting a tenure delay follow. (Note that the request should be made no later than the end of the Spring semester prior to the year in which the individual is slated to be reviewed.)
- The tenure-track faculty member should initiate the request by discussing the request with his/her Chair and then completing the Request for Delay Of Mandatory Tenure Review Due To Personal Or Professional Circumstances form. (Note: after completing this form on-screen, use the browser's print function to print it, then use the back arrow to return here.)
- If the Chair approves of the request, the form should then be submitted for the Dean's approval.
- The Dean must sign the form and forward it to the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs, 1126 Main Administration Building, for review and approval by the Provost.
- After a decision is reached by the Provost, the Office of Faculty Affairs will provide copies of the notification to the Provost, Dean, Chair, faculty member and to the Office of Personnel and Budget, which will make the actual change of tenure review year in the University's database systems.
For additional information, see the University policy, Extension of Time for Tenure Review Due to Personal and Professional Circumstances.
Return to Tenure Delay main page.